“Young Universities” – scientific and political challenges since the second half of the 20th century
Date : du 22-06-2022 au 24-06-2022
Appel à communications ouvert jusqu'au : 30-11-2021
Lieu : University of Paderborn, Paderborn
Modalité : en présentiel et/ou distanciel
The conference is organized by the Department of Contemporary History at the University of Paderborn (Prof. Dr. Peter Fäßler / Prof. Dr. Rainer Pöppinghege) on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the foundation of the University of Paderborn.
Call for papers
From the middle of the 20th century, universities - not only in the FRG - were faced with considerable challenges. The task was to adapt the sector of higher education to the requirements of the economic, technical and social modernization. However, it seems debatable, to which extent universities were at the forefront of the “modernization movement”.
In any case, politics also became active in the 1960s at the latest by discussing new study concepts and research funding strategies. Substantial investments resulted in new institutions such as polytechnics, technical colleges and universities of applied sciences, which should not only add to the higher education system quantitatively, but should also give it new - more practical - focal points. The greatest challenge, which universities had to face during the 1980s was that of the massive increase in student figures.
The catalog of topics to be negotiated at the conference aims at the following aspects:
• State or private reform concepts in the field of higher education
• Institutional start-ups
• Traditional universities and “young” universities
• Reactions of various status groups (students / professors) to higher education reform concepts and their implementation
• Positions and actions of higher education political actors or groups of actors
• The development of the higher education system in various European countries
• Universities in multiple competition: East-West conflict; Third-party research, application and market orientation; rivalry of faculties, departments, subjects
• Between Humboldt and the market: academic self-image / identity concepts
Travel and accommodation costs for speakers will be covered completey (domestic: DB 2nd class) or, if applicable, proportionally (abroad). In individual cases, purely digital participation is also possible. Conference languages are German and English.
Suggestions for 30-minute lectures are welcomed. They will afterwards be published in conference proceedings. Please send an exposé of max. 2,000 characters by November 30, 2021 to:
Prof. Dr. Rainer Pöppinghege, rainer.poeppinghege((@))upb.de
A response will be given by December 20th at the latest.
URL : https://www.hsozkult.de/.../event-113649
mot(s) clé(s) : enseignement supérieur